Robert E. Welsh, Jr.
Robert E. Welsh, Jr. has spent over thirty years in the federal criminal justice system, including six years as an Assistant United States Attorney and twenty-three years as a criminal defense lawyer. As a defense lawyer, he has focused on the defense of white collar and economic criminal investigations, including antitrust, trade and embargo regulations, fraud matters, securities cases, criminal tax matters, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act cases and matters involving the pharmaceutical industry.
Increasingly, those facing criminal investigation or prosecution simultaneously face parallel proceedings such as SEC formal investigations or enforcement proceedings, False Claims Act cases or other similar enforcement proceedings. As a result, Mr. Welsh has defended numerous “quasi-criminal” or civil penalty proceedings and routinely addresses the dilemmas attendant to such parallel proceedings.
A theme in Mr. Welsh’s practice is that it is critical to be able to effectively and efficiently litigate all manner of government cases because if one is to effectively negotiate or seek declination of charges one must demonstrate the ability to try a case to verdict. As a result, he has tried many and varied cases to verdict.
In addition, Mr. Welsh has argued before the federal appellate courts on many occasions, including before the United States Supreme Court.
Past & Current Litigation
- Numerous defendants in Medicare and Medicaid trials.
- The owner of a company in an antitrust case in a criminal trial.
- Numerous defendants in criminal tax cases, including cases involving corporate tax issues.
- Several pharmaceutical companies and numerous employees in a variety of criminal and parallel False Claims Act/Food Drug and Cosmetic Act matters.
- A former executive of an insurance company in an SEC enforcement proceeding.
- A former owner and executive of an insurance company against charges of fraud and racketeering.
- A former executive of a chemical concern charged with violating the Trading with the Enemy Act by engaging in sales to Cuban entities.
- A variety of defendants in connection with RICO charges.
- The chief executive of a generic pharmaceutical company on charges of violating the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act.
- Numerous defendants in criminal bank and securities fraud cases.
Honors & Awards
- Listed, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, White Collar Crime and Government Investigations 2009 – 2017
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, White Collar Criminal Defense 2009 – 2017
- Listed, Who’s Who Legal, Business Crime Defense
- Named “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer” by Law and Politics Magazine and Philadelphia Magazine in the area of White Collar Criminal Defense 2004 – 2017
- Fellow and Regent for Region XIII, American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section
- National Association Criminal Defense Lawyers
Pennsylvania Association Criminal Defense Lawyers
Philadelphia Bar Association
- American Law Institute
- New Jersey
- United States District Court for the:
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Middle District of Pennsylvania
- District of New Jersey
- Southern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the:
- Third Circuit
- Fourth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court