Catherine Recker has more than twenty-five years’ experience representing individuals and corporations in criminal investigations, trials, appeals and in other government enforcement and regulatory matters. Her practice reflects a wide range of law enforcement focus on business crimes including securities fraud, tax violations, political corruption, trade and embargo violations, antitrust violations, financial fraud, Food Drug and Cosmetic Act and False Claims Act violations. She has successfully persuaded prosecutors to decline action against corporate executives, publicly-traded companies as well as small business owners. Chambers USA notes that Ms. Recker receives praise for her representation of both corporations and individuals in white-collar cases and criminal investigations, with sources describing her as a “very hard-charging lawyer who is very passionate for her clients.” In 2014, she was named white collar criminal defense Philadelphia Lawyer of the Year by U.S. News and Best Lawyers and one of the Legal Intelligencer’s Women of the Year in 2012.
Ms. Recker is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers who are invited to join only after extensive investigation of their courtroom experience and integrity. Ms. Recker chaired the College’s Federal Criminal Procedure Committee and has participated in various College activities including training programs for public interest lawyers and historical symposia on notable trials.
Ms. Recker was a delegate to the College’s 2015-2016 United Kingdom/United States Legal Exchange in London. The eleven-member U.S. delegation included U.S. Supreme Court Justices Ginsburg, Breyer and Alito, and Neil Gorsuch, Chief Judge Diane Wood of the Seventh Circuit and Judge Lee Rosenthal of the Southern District of Texas.
Past & Current Litigation
- An executive of a publicly-traded financial services corporation against criminal charges of public corruption and securities violations.
- The lead individual in a criminal prosecution alleging a massive Ponzi scheme and resulting SEC receivership and enforcement matter.
- A biotech company in a criminal investigation of FDCA violations as well as parallel False Claims Act litigation.
- Numerous employees at various levels of management of several publicly-traded pharmaceutical companies in criminal investigations into FDCA violations as well as civil False Claims Act investigations involving allegations of fraudulent promotional and sales practices.
- A speech therapist in a healthcare fraud jury trial resulting in acquittal of all charges.
- US and Bahamian-based global oil corporations in the UN Iraqi “Oil-for-Food” criminal prosecution.
- A Canadian national in a jury trial against charges of Trading with the Enemy involving trade with Cuba.
- A publicly traded multi-national corporation regarding FCPA issues.
- An Asian national in a criminal antitrust investigation.
- A corporation in a jury trial against price-fixing charges.
- Two individuals in a criminal tax prosecution resulting in acquittal of one individual and dismissal of all charges against the other.
- An individual in criminal federal and state environmental investigations into an oil refinery explosion.
- Five members of the Pennsylvania Senate and House of Representatives in litigation against City of Philadelphia over land use issues.
Honors & awards
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Chair, Federal Criminal Procedure Committee (2014-2016)
- Member, Federal Legislation Committee
- Vice-Chair, Pennsylvania State Committee (2016-2017)
- Named Philadelphia Lawyer of the Year 2014, White Collar Criminal Defense, Best Lawyers
- Named one of The Legal Intelligencer’s 2012 Women of the Year
- Listed, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, White Collar Crime and Government Investigations 2009 – 2017
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, White Collar Criminal Defense 2007 – 2017
- Named “Pennsylvania Super Lawyer” by Law and Politics Magazine and Philadelphia Magazine in the area of White Collar Criminal Defense 2005 – 2017
- Board of Directors, Executive Committee Member, Philadelphia Defenders Association+
- American Law Institute
- Hearing Committee, Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania 2006 – 2012
- Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section
- National Association Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Pennsylvania Association Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- New Jersey
- United States District Court for the:
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Middle District of Pennsylvania
- District of New Jersey
- Southern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the:
- Third Circuit
- Fourth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court